20 Things To Do Instead Of Looking At Your Phone
By: Hunter Folsom
1. Go explore a Christmas tree farm. Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to frolic between pine trees with friends!
2. Look up what’s playing at the nearest drive-in theater – grab a group of friends and some snacks and enjoy an old-fashioned evening. (And if there isn’t a drive-in theater near you, then go to your local movie theater!)
3. Pick up a new craft, hobby, or book.
· Craft idea:
o Knitting a scarf for a friend.
Learning to knit is actually not so difficult. Buy some knitting needles and some yarn, and watch this tutorial here.
· Hobby idea:
o Writing a daily gratitude list.
I first heard of this from a friend of mine this past summer. They told me that every morning, they would write down a few of the things they are grateful for. It only takes a few minutes, and I believe it sets you up for a more positive mindset throughout the day.
· Book idea:
o The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
So appropriate for the holiday season, The Chronicles of Narnia documents a set of siblings’ journey through a magical land covered in snow and a battle between the warmhearted lion Aslan and the evil snow queen.
4. Go on a coffee date with an old friend you haven’t seen in a while.
5. Quality time with family or best friends.
6. Seek out a unique activity in your city that you have never taken the time to do. For instance, a trolley runs through the downtown area of Dallas and you can ride for free.
7. Finally bake that Pinterest recipe you’ve been thinking about for months.
8. Drive to a nearby town you’ve never been to and explore.
9. Watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”
10. Then watch “Elf.”
11. Go ice-skating!
12. People-watch in a cozy coffee shop.
13. Go on a jog to enjoy the crisp air.
14. Or a walk if that’s not your thing.
15. Check out the art museum in your city / town or a historic museum. My favorites in Dallas are The Dallas Museum of Art and The Sixth Floor Museum.
17. Look up tickets for an upcoming local concert and invite a group of friends along.
18. Read Beloved’s “Gather” Issue (shameless plug).
19. Watch “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.”